Sunday, August 18, 2013

Elefante and Haribo ride again

In a few days, it'll be exactly one year ago that I dipped my rear wheel in the Atlantic, signifying the end of my ride across America. I've been dreaming of the next bicycle adventure since then, but was never quite sure what it would end up being. All I knew was, I wanted to ride my bike long-distance this summer.

Well, life got in the way. I worked, and worked, and worked, and did nothing productive otherwise. I swapped riding steel for superlight aluminum, logging hundreds of miles on day rides. It was all I could do in the way of cycling.

But here I am, happily making my last minute plans for the shortest bike tour ever: NJ to Baltimore, about 220 miles. The steel Beast and I will finally get to know each other, once again. Though it'll only be a few days of riding, I am thrilled to sneak in some touring time. Nothing but me, my thoughts, and the whoosh of tires over pavement.

Now residing in Baltimore is none other than my kickass friend and riding partner, McKinley, and also Andy. So the plan is to bike door to door. And how neat that we will get to clank beer mugs to commemorate the day we rolled into Yorktown and finished the ride.

Elefante and Haribo, my bicycle hood ornaments, get to accompany me on yet another adventure. Soon, we will ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment