Sunday, February 24, 2013

Other Things I've Been Doing

I've adapted to something new, a modified triathalon training plan. Modified because I'm not training for a tri, I don't have access to a pool, and don't particularly feel like swimming. But enough is enough already, the excuse of a long distance bike tour, Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas is long gone, time to end the crap eating. As Susan Powter would say, "STOP THE INSANITY!!!" I want to get faster and stronger on the bike, build more muscle, put better food in my body, and get leaner. Thanks to my homedog, Kelly The Wannabe, I have a plan that I'm sticking to and working hard at (thanks, buddy). When things are on my calendar, I do them, so I have my daily plan all written out on my AT calendar to keep me in line. It's all about keeping appointments with yourself, a very wise professor once taught me.

Next, I need to find an event to actually train for to set a tangible goal. My current thoughts are: train, ride hard, learn skills for racing, buy a race-worthy bike, and enter my first race next summer. Or, attempt a race this summer on my new (old) road bike. Stay tuned for a post about this new gem of mine. I've always said, "Meh, I'm not competitive, I would never race," but my thoughts on racing now are, "I'd love to go so fast in a group of people, and see how I stack up against women my age." Not so much for the competition, but for the excitement of it all. I never had the opportunity to join a team in college since I stopped after a year or 2, and transferred to a teeny tiny art school that focused only on art, not academics, no sports, no frills, JUST art. By the way, I'm currently working on finishing that damn degree in education. Sometimes I wish I did more as a young 20 something, but I'm so thankful I have all of these newer healthy addictions in my life.

Anyway...

A delightful little treat I've been addicted to lately is dark chocolate covered espresso beans, and a small handful goes a long way, yum! Plus, a few of those babies before a run and ZIP! Also, who knew the Green Monster Smoothie could be so delicious? I decided to see what all the rage was about. One sip and I was totally sold. It's like a green-colored liquid banana dream! Now, there's a few of you out there who know about my banana obsession, and I've even been called the Banana Nazi. Don't throw out a banana I was just about to eat, ok?

Well, here's to the next week of training, where I will run harder, bike stronger, and do longer circuits. Lately, it's been in the 20's or colder with the wind chill, so running and biking outside isn't allllll that enticing. I'm keeping the indoor trainer rides to a minimum though, since it's boring, but I've been watching fun Youtube videos while spinning to pass the time.

The beginning stages of soup

Barley, white beans, carrots, onions, kale, spinach, and mushrooms. MMM!

The plan (and images of the AT to keep me motivated, thanks Donna W!)

Unhappy about running in 20 degrees and high wind (the run turned out to be awesome!)

Banana heaven in my favorite bicycle cup!

Post-ride food: chick peas, snap peas, and tofu—aka the instant fart-inducer

No comments:

Post a Comment